Welcome to Port Orchard
On the south side of the Sinclair Inlet of Puget Sound, Port Orchard is pretty much due west of Seattle in southern Kitsap County. The community, incorporated in 1890, was first called "Sidney." In 1892 Sidney residents petitioned the legislature to name the town Port Orchard. Problem was, the town of Charleston (near Bremerton) wanted the name also. The legislature did not approve the name change from Sidney to Port Orchard until 1903. The population as of 2014 is approximately 13,000.
Being situated on the Kitsap Peninsula, visitors to Port Orchard must cross Puget Sound via SR 16 and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge or come by Washington State Ferry from Seattle to Southworth. Locals don't mind. They feel they have the best of both worlds over here: small town charm but an easy hop and jump to the big cities of Seattle and Tacoma if they get the itch.
Introduction of fast passenger ferry service from Bremerton to Seattle is under consideration. Such a service will cut the crossing time from Kitsap to Seattle roughly in half.